Malaysian Experience

Much discussion and thought has gone into my experience whilst interning Kuala Lumpur and travelling solo throughout Singapore, and I felt the need to empty my thoughts and experience onto the keyboard.


My reason being, my trip was unexpected, challenging, spontaneous and character-defining. It wasn't the usual holiday or exploration into another country. Firstly because I was completing a four week internship.

THE INTERNSHIP
Minimal expectations were on my mind upon arriving in Kuala Lumpur to complete my internship, due to the fact that I was unsure if my interest in Public relations was strong enough to pursue a career in the industry, and secondly because I had no idea what this internship would entail!

Luckily for my minimal expectations as the internship required me to fulfil tedious tasks, required nine hour working days glaring into a computer screen, and a heap load of copying, pasting, scanning and filing. 

My reaction, however, surprised me as I adopted a positive mindset about the situation. I observed the larger picture and recognised that the amount of positives outweighed the negatives here. I got along perfectly with the two girls living and working with me, university had paid for my attendance in Kuala Lumpur, I was completely out of my comfort zone & continuously learning about an intriguing culture and country surrounding me. Therefore I embraced these aspects of my trip and discovered more about myself each week.

Sure the weeks did drag a little, although the final week concluded in perfect timing and I was off on another adventure to explore Vietnam - my first solo travelling adventure!

CHANGE OF PLANS
Well, scratch that, because I didn't exactly make it to Vietnam.
Upon booking my accomomdation and flights online (opposed to through a travel agent), I wasn't notified that VIETNAM REQUIRES A VISA!

So as I happily pranced around Kuala Lumpur airport, suitcase, neck pillow and an overload of books in hand, I was denied boarding due to my absent visa. Unfortunately it was a Saturday - therefore applying for a visa over the weekend would take at least several days before I was granted one. My heart dropped to my stomach as I found a corner to drop my belongings and sit with my thoughts for a moment. I arrived upon the realisation that I was about to miss my flight, and I was most probably not going to arrive in Vietnam.

After calling my mum, guzzling two coffees (I had four hours sleep) and contemplating my plan B at starbucks, I decided to trust the universe and believe Vietnam was not meant to be. Singapore was only a fifty minute flight away, the country doesn't require visa's and I had never been there before. I made a quick decision and before I knew it, I a flight and accommodation booked in the heart of Singapore.

SINGAPORE
This country was a glorious destination to experience my first solo travelling adventure. Although I would have preferred to experience a more diverse culture, Singapore was extremely safe for a young woman to explore at any hour of the clock.

Travelling alone is daunting and ever so fulfilling. Besides doing WHATEVER YOU WANT, you feel a sense of independence, confidence and peace within yourself. There is a great deal of quiet time, allowing you to be alone to observe your thoughts and study your feelings. I read for atleast two hours each day, explored vegetarian restaurants and walked until I needed to ask for directions back to my hotel.

It was one of the most fulfilling adventures and a huge personal learning experience, and I wish to further explore the world on my next solo adventure throughout south east asia in 2016!


This entry was posted on Tuesday 21 July 2015. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

Leave a Reply