Ask for Help




Have you ever noticed certain messages/ideas consistently, but randomly, appearing in your life - through different dimensions? Throughout your day, you see this certain message on the radio in your car, then someone randomly brings it up on conversation, then a similar video pops up on your Facebook feed. 

A certain message continued to appear in my every day life for the past week:
Asking for help.

I recently listened to a podcast that examined the effect of discussing your aspirations and dreams with people. Here's the idea: Instead of holding short and sweet conversations, revolving around 'I'm not doing much at the moment'; begin discussing what projects you are working on. Or the project you wish to begin. Humans have an innate longing to help. And they may not be the right person to directly bring your project to life, but one of the people, may know a friend who is willing to help. And the domino effect continues.

Then I discussed this idea with my dad - and he strongly resonated. Many years ago, my dad found himself in a small store in Fremantle, when a video appeared on the store's television, of someone surfing the Amazon River in Brazil. My dad right there decided, he wanted to surf that river. He told this idea to his brother, who sent him a documentary about the Amazon River. He then began discussing this idea with everyone surrounding him. A random woman working in a store said she knows a lady, in Brazil, who helps people organise trips to the Amazon. My dad got in touch with the woman, who got my dad in touch with the right people in Brazil, and organised his trip based on 'a friend of a friend'.. Someone who just wanted to help.

I then came across this video at the beginning of my article - Amanda Palmer: The art of asking. This forward, profound radical musician discussed the beauty in asking people for help, rather than forcing and telling. People are more willing to help you, if you let them. All you have to do is ask.


This entry was posted on Thursday 12 November 2015. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

Leave a Reply